Published: 16 June 2016
Author: Stringer Clark TAC Law team

Everything you need to know about TAC and injury

Hurt in a car accident? Here are four things you must do.

Accidents are unfortunately all too common on the roads of Western Victoria.

If you’ve been caught up in a car or truck collision, or injured as a pedestrian or cyclist, you’ll probably be under some stress.

Your first priority will be your health and that of any others affected by the accident. If you or a passenger travelling with you has sustained any sort of injury, initially, you might not think that it is serious. It’s an understandable, and sometimes healthy attitude to take.

But, as someone who’s advised many victims of car accidents, it pays to be a little conservative. Because the medical decisions you make in the immediate aftermath of an accident can have long term health consequences that are not immediately obvious.

And, what’s more, if you are not checked out medically in those early stages and you find there are complications later on, maybe a lingering back injury, shoulder pain, or something more significant, it becomes harder to try and get medical and financial help from the TAC.

This is because, the longer you wait to be medically examined in the aftermath of an accident, the more likely it will be that the TAC could argue that your accident is NOT the primary cause of your health problem.

So, here are a few steps you should take if you feel in any way hurt following a road accident.

  1. See your doctor. If you’re told by the medical receptionist that the appointment might be for a few weeks (as you may experience in the country), let them know you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident and want to see someone as soon as possible to get checked out. Alternatively, you can visit the hospital.
  2. Ensure you tell the doctor about the motor vehicle accident, not just about the injury you have. If the doctor says you need to see them again at another time, follow their advice. Even if it’s to be given the all clear by the doctor.
  3. Keep a record of any out of pocket expenses relating to medical treatment.
  4. Call the TAC on 1300 654 329 and lodge a claim. It’s easy to do, and the TAC will advise you as to what information is required.

For information in relation to how to lodge a claim, you can visit this page -

Previous: Can I sue the other driver for a serious road injury?

Categories TAC, Road injury

Related News & Articles

Call 1800 641 743 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field