Published: 10 April 2018
Author: Ryan Carlisle Thomas

When a family member dies in a Transport Accident

A few years ago, one of my friends lost her husband in a transport accident.

It was devastating. She had small children to care for and her husband had been in control of their finances.

They had their wills in order but that was little comfort to her when she had a funeral bill to consider and day to day expenses mounting.

I was shocked that she hadn’t received any advice that financial support from the TAC was available even though she was in close contact with the funeral home, police and others that she encountered in the days following her husband’s death. 

Thankfully, I was able to help her negotiate filling out the paper work and obtaining the documents she needed to lodge a TAC Claim. It struck me later that it may have taken her much longer to access the assistance that was available to her had we not been friends. This seemed to me as being very unfair and I hope by sharing this that anyone who loses a loved one is quickly advised by a friend or family member to contact the TAC and/or an experienced Personal Injury lawyer. 

Support that is available

The TAC offer financial support with funeral costs and counselling services.

Funeral costs are currently capped at $15,230 (inclusive of GST) 

The TAC will also pay travel and accommodation costs for immediate family members to attend the funeral if a family member lives more than 100kms from where the funeral, burial or cremation is held. 

Family counselling is available to the spouse or partner, parents, children, brother and sisters of the person who has died.

Financial support for Dependant Spouse/Partner 

The TAC can also provide financial support for those financially dependent on the transport accident victim.

Weekly Payments

You may be able to receive up to 80% of your partners earnings up to a maximum of $1,300 gross per week.

Lump Sum Compensation

Depending on the age of the person who has died you may be eligible to receive a lump sum benefit of up to $181,180. 

How do you access support from TAC?

You will need to complete a Funeral and Dependency Benefit Claim Form available here.

By contacting the TAC on 1800 332 556 or contacting us for assistance.

If a Family member suffers mental injury due to the Transport Accident they may also have a TAC claim of their own. If you have suffered a diagnosable mental injury you should seek legal advice about pursuing your own TAC claim.

For more information please see the TAC website.

Additional Links

TAC: Funeral and dependency benefits claim form

Categories TAC, Support

Related News & Articles

Call 1800 641 743 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field