Also under Crimes Compensation - VOCAT:

Compensation for Victims of Crime

  • Compensation for victims of crime
  • Victim compensation claim
  • Assault injury claim
  • How to report a claim

The Victorian Government recognises that it has a duty to provide a safe environment for all Victorians. It established the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal to provide compensation to victims of crime and, in certain cases, their families.

The compensation system is designed to redress some of the pain, suffering and financial burden experienced by victims as a direct result of criminal activity.

You can apply for compensation through the Tribunal. If you would like further information on how to apply and the payments available, contact Stringer Clark for advice on how to apply for compensation through the Tribunal and the payments available. If you would like further information, contact Stringer Clark to arrange a free and confidential initial consultation.

Compensation may also be pursued directly from the offender through the Sentencing Act 1991 (Vic) if there is a conviction, or through common law action. Time limits apply.

If you, or a family member, are a victim of crime you may be entitled to compensation. To be eligible, the crime must have occurred in Victoria and be punishable by imprisonment. A report must be made to police

The Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) provides compensation for the following groups of people:

Primary victims

Primary victims are people who are injured, suffer significant adverse effects or die, as a direct result of:

  • An act of violence against them
  • Trying to arrest someone they reasonably believe has committed a crime
  • Trying to prevent a crime from occurring
  • Aiding or rescuing a victim of crime

Secondary victims

People who are injured (e.g. suffer shock) as a direct result of witnessing violence are secondary victims. If the primary victim is under 18, their parents or guardians are considered secondary victims and may be compensated for injury (e.g. shock) directly related to learning about the crime.

Related victims

If the primary victim of an act of violence dies, close family members, dependents or those in an intimate personal relationship with the victim are entitled to compensation.

Compensation is also available to a person who pays funeral expenses following the death of a primary victim of crime.

How to make a claim

Call 1800 641 743 or find us at an office near you for advice on compensation for Victims of Crime.

Click here to provide details to assist in preparation of a claim for Victims of Crime compensation. Once you have completed and submitted our online questionnaire, we will contact you within one business day to discuss your claim further.

Call 1800 641 743 or find us at an office near you for advice on Victims of Crime compensation.

Related Content

What Our Clients Say About Us

Thank you for all your help. This will take a load of stress off my family. I can't thank you enough.


Call 1800 641 743 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field