Sexual And Institutional Abuse
Penny is a Partner of the firm who has been practising law for more than 10 years. She works in the areas of employment law, superannuation and personal injury, which includes institutional and sexual abuse. Penny heads up our institutional abuse department and has, since 2007, fought for and won redress for dozens of clients who were abused as children while in State care, foster care, or in religious and other institutions. Her keen interest in this area is underscored by her support of advocacy groups such as the Care Leavers Australia Network.
In employment law, Penny acts for individuals and unions on a wide range of matters which include termination of employment, general protections claims, and Award and employment contract breaches. As an acknowledged expert on these topics, she is often asked to present seminars on bullying and industrial relations.
Penny is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria’s committee on employment and industrial law, and also a member of the University of Melbourne’s Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law Advisory Board.
Over the years Penny has volunteered with a number of Community Legal Centres and has co-presented the 'Done By Law' radio show on 3CR community radio.
She is passionate about travel, languages, the outdoors and her pet chickens.
Memberships & Achievements
- 2002 - Present LIV member
- 2009 - Present Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Employment and Workplace Relations Sub-Committee member
- 2014 – Present Advisory Board member, Centre for Employment and Labour Relations Law (CELRL), University of Melbourne
- 2012 – 2014 Member of Commission of Inquiry Now (COIN), a community group advocating for child sexual abuse survivors and agitating for a Royal Commission
- 2012 – 2013 Member of Fair Work Commission Legal Profession Reference Group
- 2010 – 2012 3CR ‘Done by Law’ Radio Show Co-presented a regular half-hour community radio show focusing on current legal news related to issues of social justice
- 2004 - 2009 LIV Discrimination Law Sub-Committee member
- 2002 - 2009 Asylum Seekers Resource Centre Volunteered at legal night clinic
- Contributing submissions to the Victorian Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Organisations, and the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
- Delivered presentations and papers nationally, including Care Leavers Australia (CLAN) 10th anniversary national conference NSW, Knowmore national legal team and civil panel law firm staff session, Legalwise seminar on Civil Claims for Institutional Abuse, Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs Public Hearing into Commonwealth Redress Scheme for Institutional Child Sexual Abuse Bill 2017
- Melbourne University Student Union Media Officer: One of four full-time editors of the ‘Farrago’ student newspaper
- Representing RCT in media as an authority on institutional abuse, including on ABC radio, ABC television, The Age and The Guardian
- Volunteered at various Community Legal Centres during undergraduate degree, including Fitzroy Legal Service, Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre, South Port Community Legal Service and Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service