TAC claims, car accidents and road injuries

  • Car accidents and injuries
  • Bike and motorcycle accidents and injuries
  • Road injury compensation, lump sum payouts, medical benefits
  • Making a TAC claim
  • Local knowledge, quicker appointment times

Injuries from a motor vehicle accident are unexpected and generally a traumatic experience, with countless drivers, passengers and pedestrians injured every year on our roads. At Stringer Clark, we can give you the expert advice you need to receive just and adequate compensation. Although compensation may not remove the pain, it can help you get on with the rest of your life.

The Transport Accident Commission, or TAC, runs a lot of very useful public campaigns to help lower the road toll. What a lot people don't appreciate is that the TAC is also, essentially, an insurer who is responsible for helping those injured on the road to recover and be looked after financially. So remember, it's in the TAC's best financial interest to limit the size of any claim you may make on them for financial compensation. If you don't have someone who knows the system, and is on your side, you might get short-changed.

Local knowledge counts for a lot

Knowing the local "black spots"

Stringer Clark is a born and bred Western Victorian law firm. We know the roads and the danger spots across the Shires and Councils in the region. This is a big benefit to our clients when claiming against the TAC or others for compensation. If your accident occurred in a notorious local black spot, it is much harder for the opposing lawyers to argue any culpability on your part.

Site inspections of accident locations

Our local knowledge and ability to conduct site inspections of the accident location helps us better fight your case. Because we can inspect for ourselves the accident site, we obtain a clearer insight into what happened, the cause and the impact, putting us at a real advantage in arguing your case.

Local knowledge in Court

If we are fighting your case in Court because you have sustained a serious injury, we can demonstrate a real familiarity with the local driving conditions and roads, which can be a big advantage.

For your convenience

If you've suffered a serious injury, we come to you

In the case of serious injury, it is often nearly impossible and certainly inconvenient to require a client to attend the lawyer's office. Which is why, if you are seriously injured, we will come to you. At home or in hospital.

Quicker appointment times

Our lawyers are locals, which means they spend more time at the office and not on the road to and from Melbourne. This means you benefit from quicker appointment times and a lot more flexibility should you need to re-schedule.

The best local medical specialists

If a medical report is required on your condition, we know the leading local doctors and specialists who we deal with every day. You benefit from having excellent medical advice close to home, reducing the need for long travel times to Melbourne.

A basic guide to road injury compensation, the TAC, and your rights

If you have been injured in an accident in Victoria, you have two potential avenues to receive compensation for your pain, suffering and loss of wages:

  • Transport Accident Legislation, and
  • Common Law

If you are injured in a road accident you must follow these steps

  • Inform the police of the accident. If you don't, the TAC may not accept your claim
  • Call the TAC and tell them you wish to make a claim.

What am I covered for?

You are entitled to reimbursement for medical expenses, therapy and counselling.

If you are forced off work, you can claim benefits for up to 3 years. If you are left with a permanent disability that affects your earning capacity, you may be entitled to extra compensation.

If the injury is serious, you may be entitled to a lump sum to cover any future loss of earnings and to compensate you for your pain and suffering.

Can I appeal a decision by the TAC?

Yes, but only within 12 months. You should advise your lawyers as soon as possible if a decision is made.

Has your accident caused you to miss work?

First, if you've missed work because of your rehabilitation, you are entitled to income support. There are guidelines on how much you're entitled to.

More seriously, if you've had a accident and your injury has permanently affected your capacity for continuing employment, you will be entitled to regular income support or a lump sum payment.

Finally, lump sum payments may be made for pain and suffering which are linked to the severity of your injury. If it's a major injury resulting in serious permanent disability, you are entitled to pursue your case in court.

The maximum payment for pain and suffering is $547,550 and for loss of income, $1,232,060. Both sums are indexed annually.

There are also various payments available when an accident is fatal, including dependency benefits and expenses for the funeral and headstone.

Always the best first step to take is simply to call us. It won't cost you anything for our initial advice.

To help answer all your questions about seeking compensation for a motor vehicle accident, make an appointment to see one of our lawyers.

Call 1800 641 743 or find us at an office near you for advice on TAC injury claims.

Related Content

Call 1800 641 743 to be connected to your nearest office, find an office near you on our office locations map, or email us using the form below and we will contact you on the same or next business day.

* Required Field